Saturday, November 19, 2011

How To: Survive the Holidays

Duck, duck, duck...TURKEY!

The holidays are upon us everyone! That means gift-giving, happy family fun time, and delicious food. On the flip side, it also means budget-draining present-searching, awkward small talk with distant relatives, and gaining back all the weight you’ve worked all semester to lose. Still excited?

I’m just kidding, a lot of people like the holidays (including me, although it may not sound like it). I just always seem to find a way to make myself stressed out, but this year I’m going to try a new approach.

First of all, I started buying gifts for my family members back in August, when I still had some money I earned from my summer job. I’m also aiming to make as many gifts as I can myself.
This lady-blogger has a whole bunch of great do-it-yourself craft ideas. You can also write letters to people telling them about how you are thankful they are in your life. My brother did this last year for my mom and she cried (out of happiness), so I guess that’s a success for him at literally no cost. If people seem to be displeased with your slice-and-bake cookies or hand-turkey cards, simply reiterate over and over that you are in college and VERY VERY POOR.

But really, who wouldn't want this??  Check out the recipe here.
Ah, family. I personally love my family but sometimes I am just not trying to tell them what I’m majoring in for the fifth time. Family gatherings are not always the most fun part of the holiday but usually there is your aunt’s delicious pecan pie and some funny/embarrassing stories about your dad as a kid. It’s hard to avoid the 5 hours of small talk that come with these gatherings, so my best advice is to adjust your attitude. Remind yourself that you don’t see these people very often, make up lies about your career goals to entertain yourself (“I’m really looking into the circus after college, ‘Water for Elephants’ just really inspired me”), or get a third serving of cake. Whatever you have to do to get through this sacred family time.  Hopefully your family isn't (is?) like this one...

Photo courtesy of awkwardfamilyphotos.com.
Speaking of cake, there’s the exponential increase in calorie consumption that comes with the holiday season. Not everybody is a calorie counter, and it’s my belief that no one should be during the holiday months. I’m in no way a health-nazi, but diet and exercise are certainly interests of me, mostly because I’m a huge nerd (if you ever want to talk about carbohydrates or fat calories holla at me). However, I do miss the days of my childhood when I could eat 8 cookies without thinking twice about it. Regarding turkey, stuffing, macaroni and cheese, and 17 assorted desserts, just be smart about it and take it in moderation. Also, remember that you can always exercise but you cannot always stuff your face with biscuits. Don’t let your fear of gaining weight keep you from eating what you want, and keep these habits in mind.

Hopefully you’re still excited about the upcoming celebrations and remember to enjoy all the great parts of the holidays. I know I’m about to enjoy one great part…I think I smell my mom’s sausage bread, and I think it’s my responsibility to go check on that…Happy Thanksgiving!

-SD

No comments:

Post a Comment