Saturday, November 12, 2011

7 Habits of Highly Effective JMU Students

You know that book that your mom told you you should read?  This one?
Well here's a shorter version just for JMU students.  I don’t want to pretend like I’ve figured out college because there are definitely things I don’t know, like how to get JMU to let me stay here forever, but I've learned a few lessons (some took longer than others) in my time here.
  1. Join an organization.   Forgive me for sounding like every college tour guide…ever…but the reason this is the most repeated piece of advice for college is because it’s true.  As a freshman I got organization-happy and am still paying the price (I should really ask to be taken off the club dodgeball listserv), but I found a few clubs that have truly made my experience at JMU.  Being part of an organization breaks up the monotony of going to school and doing homework and allows you to meet people you never would have met otherwise. (And there are certainly plenty to choose from, as you can see from this list.) 
  2. Utilize UREC.   I hate working out just as much as the next person, but think of it this way: it’s great people-watching and never again in your life will you have [essentially free] access to a gym with a rock climbing wall in the middle of it.  We all know that staying healthy is important, so going to UREC combined with walking up and down the ISAT hill is a guaranteed way to combat those 3 helpings of buffalo mash. 
  3. Get to know your professors.   It’s hard when you’re in a gen-ed religion class of 100 people, but as you get further into your major building relationships with your professors is crucial.  It took me a long time to get over the throw-up-nervousness feeling that attacked me when I thought about going to office hours but it has seriously come in handy, from useful pieces of career advice to letters of recommendation.  I've only heard of a few that bite so don't be scared.
  4. Don't take chances with Parking Services.   I learned this one the hard way.  I have a slight problem with authority/following rules, and this combined with my theory that Parking Services has a personal vendetta against me has had a pretty depressing impact on my budget.  If you know that you can’t park somewhere, DON’T.  I don’t know how they manage to ticket people that park illegally for only 15 minutes but they are like vultures.  I’ve parked at Chipotle and walked before, and while you’re not technically allowed to do that it beats paying yet another $25 ticket.
  5. Bummer!
  6. Don't spend your dining dollars too early.   There are few things that are worse than spending 10 hour days in ECL during finals week, but having no money to buy Java City is definitely one of them.  I like saving up all my dining dollars, and then dropping $100 in one week on things like espresso beans and quadruple shot macchiatos. 
  7. Go to the football games, even if you only stay till halftime.   I grew up in Blacksburg, VA and went to Virginia Tech games my whole life.  Needless to say I was less-than-impressed with JMU football at first but going to a school with a smaller team has its perks.  The student tickets are free, there are no commercial breaks every 10 minutes, and everyone in general is less stressed out.  Even if you only stay through halftime (and of course, it’s a sin to leave without hearing the Marching Royal Dukes), at least you got the experience and hopefully a picture with the Duke Dog (unless you are like me and scared of mascots, which is perfectly normal and understandable). 

7.  Get to know Harrisonburg.   Take advantage of the area.  I’ve been saying I need to go to places like Blue Hole, Carter Mountain, and Reddish Knob for 3 years now and I’m just getting around to it.  Skyline Drive is one of the most famous roads in the southeast and look at what you can see if you go:
Neat, right?
Locally integrating yourself also has its benefits.  For example, if you buy local honey from the Farmer’s Market you can build up your immune system to local allergies.  If you go to the “townie Wal-Mart” located on South Main Street instead of the one close to campus you can avoid the AWFUL traffic and save money, according to junior Sarah Ervin.  “One time we were shopping for tacky Christmas sweaters and the ones at the Wal-Mart on South High were way cheaper than at the Wal-Mart near campus,” she said.

Hopefully you're not like me and are still a freshman so you can fully utilize these 7 habits for the next glorious 4 years (did I mention I didn't want to graduate?).  Happy habit-ing!


  1. -SD

No comments:

Post a Comment