Saturday, December 3, 2011

Harrisonburg on Parade!

Last night was Harrisonburg's annual Christmas parade, which ran down South Main Street in Downtown Harrisonburg.

I went to this parade expecting to see a few people sitting on the sidewalk watching a few halfhearted floats meander down the street.  I was SO wrong.  The Harrisonburg community really put on a good show.   

The parade included floats from churches, girl scout troops and roller skaters.  Bands from local High Schools and JMU's own Marching Royal Dukes were also featured in the parade.

My friends and I were sitting on the side of the road behind a large group of kids.  They LOVED absolutely everything about the parade, and were not afraid to show it.  The kids were laughing, talking, and just enjoying the parade, and seeing how excited they were really made the night for my friends and I.

Makes you wish you were still a little kid at Christmas.  

After the parade was done, we walked around Downtown Harrisonburg admiring the lights, looking through stores, and just mingling with the other people who came out for a festive night.  We got some delicious coffee from a coffee truck on the side of the road and enjoyed the beautiful night.

The night culminated with a performance by the Marching Royal Dukes in Court Square to accompany the Tree Lighting Ceremony.  The MRD's were in their prime (as usual) and the ceremony was very enjoyable.  

I realized that I often get lost in the "JMU Bubble."  I forget that there are lots of other people living in the Harrisonburg community besides JMU students.  Seeing other community members come together for an entertaining event like this definitely makes Harrisonburg feel more like home.  

-RC


1 comment:

  1. What a great sentiment! Wish I could have gone.... or that I knew about it ahead of time!!
    -Amanda

    ReplyDelete